A Strike Eagle should be armed to the tooth. And so a little research was done to see what I can come up with:
Well, we haven't even started yet and already we run into the first snag [smile]
My bird is most likely going to be one from 2002. Say, Enduring Freedom. I found a nice resource on the net for the typical loadouts used by an F-15E in those days. Well, actually I have found two of them, but with some issues. Any typical OEF loadout would include two external fueltanks with a AIM-9L/M Sidewinder and AIM-120B/C AMRAAM on both hardpoints as well. Load configurations vary a bit in the bomb load, but usually you would find GBU-12, GBU-31, GBU-38, sometimes a GBU-15 and GBU-24, or some Mk.82
This of course is completely irrelevant, since this is what the kit provides:
** 1x ASAT missile (anti satellite ???)
** 4x AIM-9M
** 4x AIM-7
** 2x GBU-12 Paveway II
** 12x Mk.20 Rockeye + TER
** 12x Mk.82 + TER
So - typical loadout for the markings offered - sorry, not gonna happen. I have my Sidewinders, and the GBU-12. No AMRAAMs though, and the external fuel tanks offered are weird: there are two included, but the instructions clearly state they're only for the Israeli D-version.
So, let's see what I have to choose from
* loadout #1: 1x AIM-9M, 3x AIM-120B, 2x GBU-12, 2x GBU-38
* loadout #2: 2x AIM-9M, 1x AIM-120B, 1x GBU-15, 1x GBU-24
* loadout #3: 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120B, 8x GBU-12
* loadout #4: 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120B, 5x GBU-12, 6x Mk.82
* loadout #5: 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120B, 3x GBU-38, 1x GBU-31, 4x GBU-12
* loadout #6: 1x AIM-9M, 1x FACE pod, 2x AIM-120B, 3x GBU-38, 1x GBU-31, 4x GBU-12
* loadout #7: 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120B, 2x GBU-12
* loadout #8: 1x AIM-9M, 1x FACE pod, 2x AIM-120B, 2x GBU-38, 2x GBU-12
* loadout #9: 1x AIM-9M, 1x AIM-120B, 3x GBU-38, 1x GBU-12, 1x GBU-31
* loadout #10: 1x AIM-9M, 1x AIM-120B, 3x GBU-38, 2x GBU-12, 1x GBU-31
* loadout #11: 2x travel pod
* loadout #12: 2x travel pod
* loadout #13: 2x travel pod
* loadout #14: 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120B, 3x GBU-38, 2x GBU-12
So basically I can (almost) make loadout 7, which doesn't qualify imho. An Eagle should be carrying some heavy stuff, and not a mere 2 of em. I do have a Hasegawa weapons set D, which gives me some extra GBU-12, GBU24 and GBU-31.
That means loadout #4 is now a likely candidate. All I need now is to find two of those AMRAAMs. Or I could take the easy way out and simnply use what the kit offers as ardnance and ignore how that's wrong...
I managed to scrounge up some AMRAAMs from a Hasegawa F-18 kit. Since I can't be sure I won't be using them on that model, I'd better start learning how to cast in resin.
So - anyone have any experience casting copies of missiles? The missiles I have are in 9 parts each - 8 separate fins and the body. What would be the best way to do this? Put 4 fins on the body, copy that and the other 4 fins separately, or put the whole thing together and use that? I don't see a 1-part mould working in that case, which would mean a 2-part mould I suppose....
And ignore the color - I didn't choose it...