German E-100 Super Heavy Tank
Trumpeter
1:35
kit no: 00384
build time: July 20 2017 - September 9 2017


The E-100 Super Heavy Tank (or, as its official designation is: the Pnzerkampfwagen E-100 (Gert 33)) was a design developed by the German army near the end of World War II. The aim was to create an anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapon to hold off allied forces. As with many other ideas however, this design was too little and way too late - at the end of the war, only the chassis of the first prototype was completed (see image shamelessly taken from Wikipedia since it is in the public domain anyway).



This was mainly due to hitler changing his mind, which left only 3 people at the Adlerwerke to work on this design. The partially finished prototype was discovered in 1945 by British forces after which it was shipped to the UK for evaluation. Upon completing the evaluation, the chassis was scrapped. Should this monster ever have been completed, it would have required a crew of 6, and be well over 10 meters long, 4.5 meters wide and 3.3 meters high. The operating weight would have been around 150 tons. The V12 Maybach HL230 engine would produce 700 horsepower giving it a top speed of 40 km/h with a range of 190 km. The E-100 would be armed with a 128 mm main gun, a 75 mm coaxial gun and a 7.92 mm machine gun.



So - work began today. It felt good after having been away for so long. Even if this is somewhat repetitive. First off, there's two pieces that need to be glued to the sides of the lower hull. Lotsa holes left, but that's where the springs for the shock absorbers (?) go into.



The underside of the lower hull also comes with detail on it, which is always weird to me as no one displays these things upside down (do they?). Anyways, that also means I won't have to worry about these two injector gates...



And then we come to the aforementioned springs/bogeys/shock absorbers:



Sixteen of em, and although they look decent enough, they all require a little bit of clean up. One could skip this as you'll never be able to see this, but still. I'll know it's there...



And after some sanding (well, a lot of it), you just put em in place. These are pretty much a push fit, and only one required the use of glue to keep it in place.



Springs in place, now to add some axles so we have something to attach the roadwheels to. Again, 16 wheels means 16 axles, all requiring some minor sanding.



And then... roadwheels. This is the bit I don't like about tanks, but still - my last tank kit had 64 roadwheels, and this one only has 16. Each made up of 3 parts. Still - cut off sprue, glue together, and don't sand until the glue is dry.







And now we run into the first issue. Several parts of the lower hull on the real thing were strengthened by adding extra material. So does the kit, and that looks something like this. Now there's bound to be a seam between these bits on the real thing, but this will have to be fixed.







So we move on to the next repetitive task: little bits onto the turret. Eyelets for ropes (I assume) and brackets for the spare track links. And since this is a big tank, it's not a handful of parts. Well, actually it is since they're so small, but I was referring to the number of them: 24 of em. Add a few grabhandles as well, and your basic turret is now well over 30 parts.



And this peaks out through the top hatch. Another 8 parts. Probably something for the commander to see what they're doing?



Too bad though, because this thing has no interior whatsoever, and to install that part the hatch would need to be open. So you can see all that emptiness. That's not gonna work, so we close the hatch. And that part can go into the spares box.



Next up: the main gun. I dislike these things when they come in 2 parts. It's easy enough to glue em together, but to get em to line up properly and then get rid of the seamline without destroying the round shape of the past.... blegh.



And then we hit a snag in the instructions. See exhibit A: the drawing that Trumpeter has made of part C28.



And see exhibit B - part C28 while still attached to the sprue:



Nice going - draw the part looking straight at the sides so you don't see what it is. Oh well. Fortunately, the backplate went together a lot easier.



And then we add some odds and ends and PE grills to the upper hull.





Nothing more to do now, as stuff needs to dry before I can work on it with the sanding sticks. Still, at this rate this thing will be ready for paint before the weekend is done...


previous pagenext page